So Part 2 of my catching up update and the last item on my long list of fun that consumed my October and first part of November was the Sewing Machine project for the Palmer Art Walk Auction. I mentioned before that I was dismantling a broken Pfaff 360 to harvest the parts inside. I wanted to use the parts in an art quilt for my auction project. Here's what I came up with for a design! The art quilt design is fairly plain looking at this point because it's going to get a lot more detail added with paint and thread painting. The parts I got out of the machine we all very interesting shapes and covered in a lot of grease and grime. I cleaned them all up and was planning to sew some of the pieces on the quilt, but once they were clean they immediately started to rust. So I decided to used them as stamps dipped in paint from my Shiva Paintstiks. We'll see how that goes when I get to it.
Well with all the other stuff going on, I ended up working on this project pretty close to the deadline and then got thrown a curve ball. In all the advertisements for the event, they were talking about the public coming to see the sewing machines.....not art made from sewing machines. Nooooo! So I paused the quilt and switched my focus to the sewing machine! I came up with an idea and quickly got it done in time! I think it turned out ok, but I hate rushing projects.
I named the sewing machine piece "Transformation" because this project had to transform from a quilt into the sewing machine, it's designed to look like nature is transforming the machine back to it's basic elements, and if you look at the branches, I wanted to convey how a sketchy idea can transform into reality.
The flowers were made with my AccuQuilt GO and the leaves were all hand cut. The flowers and leaves were made out of fabric, heavy weight fusible, thread painting, and super glue to hold them on the project. The branches are made from real branches from my yard with brown batik fabric wrapping up the length with glue to secure the fabric to the branches and more glue to secure the branches to the machine. And last, the drawn branches and flowers were done in Sharpie because it dries quickly and is colorfast on metal! I got this project from start to finish and out the door in a matter of three days.
On the day of the Art Walk, I went out to see all the art that had been created with these various sewing machines. There were nine total at the event and most were using the machine as I had. A few actually designed art from the machine so I probably could have turned in my quilt in the end. Oh well. It was kind of a cold day in Palmer so it was a quiet Art Walk. I snapped lots of pictures of the auction for you all to see.
So What's Next
I plan on finishing the birch tree art quilt since this has been an interesting design challenge, but for now I have to shift gears again and work on some projects for the holidays. I'm hoping to get some new quick holiday project patterns out, a Disney Frozen quilt for my niece for a Christmas present, and some other fun things. I should be on here more often again, so visit again soon or link up with one of my social profiles to be notified when I publish new posts.